BHP was engaged by the Freeholders of the site to assist with evaluation to alternative land uses with an objective of securing a planning consent for the most valuable land use.
Through its retail agency contacts, a number of food retailers were identified with occupational requirements for Coulsdon.
A provisional agreement was in place with J Sainsbury’s, however, to facilitate the construction of a food store of sufficient size, agreement was required with both Network Rail and Malcolm King for land and access. In conjunction with J Sainsbury’s, negotiations were successfully concluded and a planning application submitted in joint names between the retailer and the land owner.
Mayoral approval was obtained prior to successfully securing a detailed planning consent.
- Site of over 1 acre
- Town’s centre position adjacent to the town’s railway station
- To secure a food store on the site with a number of occupiers identified
- To significantly increase the value of the site through a retail planning consent
- Sloping and triangular site
- Frontage to the high street was the narrowest aspect of the site
- Any enlargement of the site would involve third parties
- Access to the site for deliveries needed to come across a third party’s land holding